Thursday, October 20, 2011

Crafty McCrafterson

What can you do with some clearance fabric from Hobby Lobby and a can of spray paint ???
Make a new lamp?? Create some custom art for your house?? 
WHY NOT BOTH ???
Remember that fabric that Hubbs wasn't thrilled about ?? Well, I used it anyway. When we moved in to our house our relatives let us prowl their attics, garages and basements and take what we wanted.. yes, I said TAKE.. for free. Awesome?? Doesn't even do it justice. This lamp was one of those items.. black and gold base.. faded shade with black and gold rope trim. It didn't REALLY match anything but for a year now, I've pretended that it "worked". This week I've been very motivated to really start putting our house together. Making sure it looked like OUR house and not a random collection of knick-knacks from various suppliers. 
You've met the fabric.. and let me introduce you to the paint options..

Options 3 and 4 are for the lamps in the Master Bedroom. Option 1 is for the dining nook light fixture that I hate. Option 2 is for another lamp in the guest bedroom. (Those crafts will be in another post)

Soooo out of option 3 and 4, Hubbs chose option 3. Good choice Hubbs !!!
I couldn't decide so I let Hubbs weigh in.. He chose the green . I agreed and here we go...
I recovered the shade last night while also watching a movie.. I'm pretty talented. I had read a few tutorials online and decided that I didn't want to measure, remeasure, measure then cut. What's the fun in that right ?? So I warmed up the glue gun and went to it....
I had already removed the trim, sorry for your loss of visual.

These are camera phone pictures and the fabric is actually a lot more vibrant than this.
Gluing and trimming

I don't know if this is going to make it all the way around
Sugar Biscuits.. it wasn't going to make it around so I ripped it off and started again. So thankful for hot glue..
Finally finished
Still need to paint the base here
What do you do with the leftovers?? It's just TOO PRETTY to waste.. 
I had this frame from JoJo's (that's my aunt) garage. I never put pictures in it because I'm not really crazy about these kinds of layouts. So I've been staring at it for a year, knowing it's purpose in my house would come to me. The other day I was staring blankly at the bare wall above our tub trying to figure out what to do with it. It was REALLY starting to bug me... Then it hit me! Gallery wall. Pictures, fun knick-knacks, etc. etc. So last night while staring at this too pretty-to-toss fabric, it hit me!! Frame that stuff! Use it in the bathroom to tie the two rooms together!! GENIOUS !!!!!!!!
I removed all the mats, used the cardboard for a base and packing taped (yes, seriously) the fabric to it.

VIOLA !!!

Now I'm collecting pictures and pieces to finish off the collection.. stay tuned... 

No comments:

Post a Comment